These questions will help you prepare for your consultation and treatment with confidence. I am of course happy to answer any other questions that you may have at any time.
This list of questions is not exclusive to spinal surgery but applies to anybody undergoing any type of procedure.
- What type of surgery are you recommending? Why?
- What is the source of the pain that is being addressed?
- What are my non-surgical options?
- What is the natural course of my condition if it is not surgically addressed?
- What would you recommend if this were your friend/wife/sister/daughter etc.?
- How long will the surgery take?
- What are the potential side effects, risks and complications?
- Do I need to donate my own blood?
- Do you perform the whole procedure?
- Who else will assist you in the operation?
- How many times have you done this procedure?
- Are you fellowship-trained in spine surgery?
- If I want to get a second opinion, who would you recommend?
- Can I talk to other patients who have had a similar procedure?
- What kind of pain should I expect after the surgery and for how long?
- How often will I see you after my surgery?
- What symptoms would warrant a call to your office?
- What symptoms would warrant immediate medical attention?
- What limitations will I have after surgery and for how long?
- How long will I be out of work/school?
- What kind of help will I need when I return home?